Type Specimen Poster – First Draft

The type specimen brief is by far the one that I have enjoyed doing the most. Page design and layout design is one of the reasons I wanted to become a graphic designer so I felt a lot more in my comfort zone while completing this assignment. At the start of the project everyone was split into groups, and each group had different font. I was put in the Georgia font group, which is a typeface that I had surprisingly never heard of or even used (not very impressive for a graphic designer), but I was still looking forward to using it. After doing some research on the font and looking at its different forms, I found out that it had been specifically design for web-based reading. The font itself is very simple and traditional serif font which closely resembles Times New Roman, but in my opinion its simplicity complimented its purpose.

The poster itself had a few guidelines and requirements:

  • Black & White (Including Grey)
  • A2
  • Include all forms of the typeface plus all of its characters
  • Feature 3 paragraphs – One about the designer, the typeface and finally its context
  • Has to have our name and date placed discretely on the page
  • Show the typeface in an expressive form

I felt quite glad to have so many guidelines as it meant I could mold my design in between the boundaries, which were already setting it up for a informative poster. It was just up to me to be creative with the design and content. In order to prepare myself for the poster, I did some research and sketching of some typography posters so that I could learn their layouts and techniques. A process that proved to be very useful when it came to coming up with ideas for the design and layout of the page. For example, a type specimen poster made for Gill Sans featured the point sizes for all of the paragraphs that he used, which is something that I ended up incorporating into my design (in my own way of course).

Knowing that the font itself if very simple and clear, I wanted my poster to reflect that. It needed to be easy on the eye and quite simplistic, because that’s how I see the design of the font. One of the things that I really liked about the font was the “g”, as there was so much that could be done with it. After some experimentation I found a perfect way to feature the typeface in an expressive way. I mirrored two lowercase “g’s” at the top of the page, which created a place to put the name of the font / title. To add a little bit of excitement and fun to the poster I filled on of the “g’s” with most of the letters from the typeface, which really brought the poster together even if it was quite a small feature.

I am pleased with the way that the first design has come out on the computer, as I think it works well as a type specimen poster while also keeping a simple and stylish layout. The biggest problem is the fact that it has come out very dark when printed, therefore the first major change I need to make will be to increase the contrast and “pop” of each color. Below are two versions of the poster, one with a clean look and the other with a grungy overlay which is just a bit of post-production that I like to add on to a lot of my designs.

Poster-Clean

Poster-Dirty

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s