The Hidden History of Cardiff | Subject/Field group project | 3rd – 23rd February

Credit to Mitchell Scott for the front cover

Credit to Mitchell Scott for the front cover

On the 5th of February we started to work on the first project of the term, making the ordinary extraordinary, specifically focusing on the theme ‘hidden city’. My group, which includes me, Mitchell, Geraint, Amy and Rhys, started to brainstorm ideas and figure out what direction we were heading in. The initial ideas were set around creating a collaborative compilation of all our work, with the main focus being the hidden history of Cardiff. We all gave ourselves a location in Cardiff that we could create the work around as we felt that the group all had different graphical and artistic styles. We wanted to then put all of our work into a book which would have included all of our work, along side facts and statistics about Cardiff and comparing the old and new.

As we started to get on with the work, which was going well, we had a mid-project tutorial with Ray. We presented him the idea along with some of the work we had already produced, but he felt that the project would benefit more from creating one piece of work which showcased all of our skills instead of it just being a compilation of our work. He particularly liked one of Amy’s original ideas, which was to create a map of Cardiff which would include information about each area in an info-graphic style. Here are her original sketches.

11005942_1030476973633792_107242645_n

After some discussion we decided that this was definitely the best route to go down and we all felt like it was manageable in the two weeks we had left. The main idea was to create a book, in the shape of the map, with each area being highlighted and having its own page that would show statistics and information about it. We decided that each area would be singled out by removing the other areas, and then using that blank space to put all of the information in. The original map was changed slightly as a lot of the locations were quite small meaning that we couldn’t put in a lot of information, not enough for an entire page anyway. To fix this we combined a lot of the map, so that we could feature information about multiple areas in one space. To kick off the creative process Mitch created a vector map of Amy’s sketch, and also assigned us the areas that we could each do.

11004098_1030554666959356_1198559850_nMap of Cardiff

Once we had our locations we were able to get to work, which was pretty exciting for me as I love to create info-graphics. The main area that I had to cover was on the West side of Cardiff, luckily there was a good amount of content to include as St Fagans is a very historical place. The only problem with everyone creating their own info-graphics was that we all had different styles, which could make the book look messy and unprofessional. In the end a lot of our graphics came out the same, as I came up with a good style that we could all follow. Which can be seen below.

City Centre Infographic St Fagans Infographic

I tried to go for a very simple style that would clearly show the main facts of each area, while including images and icons. The group seemed to like it so they also created their info-graphics in this style. Although some of the areas had too much information to fit in the small spaces therefore Rhys and Mitch created graphics which were more text based, which also meant them changing the font from Helvetica to Georgia.

Cathays Whitchurch

Once we had all completed our info-graphics and were happy with them we went to the print studio on campus to get them printed out professionally. We had them printed out on A4 and then cut around the black borders so that they were all relatively in the same shape although it was quite messy, ideally we would have liked to get them laser cut but we didn’t have the time. We bound the book together using some of my string so that we had a prototype to show everyone during our presentation.

In conclusion I feel like the group project was very successful and we achieved what we wanted. Even though we changed ideas mid project, we still came out with a good piece of work that we call contributed to equally. We always communicated and shared our ideas. There was always a fairly positive atmosphere as I feel as if we all wanted to do good work that would impress people. There were a few strong personalities in the group, which was good as everyone would always share their opinions on things and didn’t mind it if people disagreed with them. I think that personally I did well as a group member, I always communicated with the group and made sure that I never accidentally took the wheel and went with my own ideas without consulting the group first. All of these factors definitely played a huge part in creating our final piece, which I am very proud of, and I know the rest of my group are as well.

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s